The Roman thermal baths of Sant’Andrea Priu
In the second half of the nineteenth century, Giovanni Spano reported remains of walls from the Roman era in front of the trachyte ridge on which the domus de janas of S. Andrea Priu opened up.
In 2005, after an archaeological survey carried out by the Archaeological Heritage department for the provinces of Sassari and Nuoro, the areas of a thermal baths structure were brought to light (figs. 1, 2, 3, 4).
Heat spread through the rooms thanks to the hypocaust system, via the cavities made with tegulae hamatae, arranged between the support wall and the wall covering. A semi-circular room, probably the praefurnium and other rooms that were the tepidarium, calidarium and two frigidaria were found. The thermal bath building can be dated to the Imperial Roman Age (1st - 5th century A.D.).
- SECHI M., Viabilità e dinamiche insediative in età romana nel territorio di Bonorva, in Studi sul paesaggio della Sardegna romana (a cura di G. PIANU, N. CANU), Mores 2011, pp. 83-103.
- SPANO G., Catacombe di S. Andrea Abriu presso Bonorva, in Bullettino Archeologico Sardo, 11-12, 1956, pp. 170-179.