The seventeen environments
The complex of Lu Palatzu of Baldu is characterised by a square tower and by seventeen rooms arranged around a large pentagonal courtyard, which may be accessed from the north-eastern side (fig. 1). The rectangular-sized rooms vary in size.
Some of these spaces have been investigated during the site excavations, where a few aspects of both the walls and their intended use were highlighted. It was also possible to recognise a particular building pattern, called "double room", which involves joining two spaces (one larger and one smaller one) through one access: this happens in the case of kappa (κ) and iota (ι), (figs. 2-3); pi (π) and alpha (α); csi (ξ) and ni (ν).
It has been hypothesised that the rooms had different uses, such as housing and workshop: the latter was found in rooms beta (β) and gamma (γ), where numerous metal artefacts were unearthed; other rooms must have been used as warehouses, kitchens, stables and workshops. The artefacts found within the various spaces have connected their manufacture and use to a time span ranging between the thirteenth and fifteenth centuries.
- F. FRESI, La Gallura, in M. BRIGAGLIA (a cura di), Le chiese nel verde: architetture religiose rurali nella provincia di Sassari, Sassari 1995, pp. 125-143.
- F. PINNA, Un villaggio medioevale nel cuore della Gallura, in Almanacco Gallurese, 10, 2002-2003, pp. 77-84.
- F. PINNA, Archeologia del territorio in Sardegna. La Gallura tra tarda antichità e medioevo, Cagliari 2008, pp. 103-104.
- F. PINNA, La rete insediativa medievale della Sardegna nord-orientale: stato degli studi, nuovi dati archeologici e prospettive di ricerca, in F. REDI, A. FORGIONE (a cura di), VI Congresso Nazionale di Archeologia Medievale (L'Aquila, 12-15 settembre 2012), Borgo S. Lorenzo 2012, pp. 436-441.
- F. PINNA, D. CORDA, Scambi e circuiti commerciali nella Sardegna medievale: dati archeologici dal Palazzo di Baldu (Luogosanto, Olbia-Tempio), in Bulletin de la Société des sciences historiques et naturelles de la Corse, 2014, pp. 748-749.